investigating the quality, transparency, efficacy, delivery, or cost of care.
Wharton Research Data Services (WRDS) provides the leading business intelligence, data analytics, and research platform for global institutions dedicated to providing comprehensive thought leadership and analysis.
As the award-winning data research platform for over 50,000 commercial, academic, and government researchers in 30+ countries— WRDS is the global gold standard in data management and research, all backed by the credibility and leadership of the Wharton School.
WRDS Analytics and Tools
WRDS offers a variety of powerful analytics tools to support you in your healthcare research. Get more out of your data with less effort.
Access to Healthcare Research
WRDS makes the world’s most reliable and referenced datasets easily available in a consistent format with access to 300 TB of data and 400+ databases from 50+ data providers
Customizable and Scalable Data Options
Access WRDS data through the web or use Python, Stata, Matlab, R, or SAS. WRDS Cloud enables you to dig deep into big data analytics.
Healthcare Data on WRDS
- Details about US hospitals
- Hospital financials through the HCRIS data
- Details about US hospital IT / EMR usage
- The Office-Based Physicians data file includes detailed information about providers in US doctor offices.
- Mergers and acquisitions in the US healthcare sector
- Dollars for Docs tracks payments to doctors from pharmaceutical and medical device companies.
- Prescriber Checkup tracks prescriptions by doctors from Medicare Part D.
- MEPS (Medical Expenditure Panel Survey) tracks insurance coverage and the use and cost of health services.
- HCUP (Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project) covers procedures and diagnoses during hospital inpatient stays and emergency department visits.
Healthcare Company Data on WRDS
Many hospitals, insurance companies, pharmaceuticals, and other healthcare-related companies are public, with a variety of information available:
- Company financials & key measures
(hospital admissions, number of beds, insurance enrollment & income from premiums…)
S&P Compustat, Thomson Reuters Worldscope, Factset Fundamentals
- Analyst Estimates of Earnings and Key Measures
(drug sales, insurance premiums…)
Thomson Reuters Ibes
WRDS is the gold standard for a research and data platform and has been indispensable for my research. WRDS has been an important contributor to the development of empirical research in academic finance over the last decade. The professional and technical staff at WRDS are always a few steps ahead of the needs of finance academics.
George Gund Professor of Finance and Banking Harvard Business School, Harvard University